Saturday, September 05, 2009

Meadowhawk Season


Seems fitting my 500th blog posting is about an odonate, one that I've never seen before even though they're fairly common. S. vicinum, or a Yellow-Legged Meadowhawk.


This particular Sympetrum likes to perch on the ground, and I just about stepped on him getting the bike out of the garage to ride to the Farmer's Market on the Capitol Square. Luckily for both of us I didn't. He was still a little cold but he readily jumped on my finger so I could get a decent shot of him (it's a him). My son calls me the Dragonfly Whisperer, they like to perch on me for some reason.

September and October is Meadowhawk season. They're latecomers and extend the odonating season for me, so I was happy to see the first one. The Libellulidae are fading fast, it's Sympetrumland from now to Spring.

Happy Labor Day!

Respectfully submitted,

Canoelover

No comments: