Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More Saxon. Less Latin. No Greek.

"Bad writers ... are nearly always haunted by the notion that Latin or Greek words are grander than Saxon ones." - George Orwell
That's an interesting notion. Having a classics background, I suppose I tend to lean on Latinate words a bit more than I should. It's not to sound more ed-yoo-ma-kated or anything, it's unfortunately just the way I talk. I think I need a little more Saxon in my life.

So I will no longer say erudite. I will instead say smart. I will say cow instead of beef. Sweat instead of perspire. Dog, not hound. As far as that wonderful word for sexual union, I'll stay with the more clinical copulate rather than the vulgar Saxon term. Actually, I'll dismiss them both for the Motownian term getting it on.

Linguistically yers,

Canoelover

2 comments:

mk said...

How 'bout 'couple'. I love that word.

Rosie said...

"The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way", Bill Bryson.

CanNOT put it down!!