Saturday, May 17, 2008

My cousins

Last week my Aunt Karen visited with my cousin Wendy and her two sweet kids. We took them to Pizza Brutta and it was all good. Dallin (shown above) was particularly enamored with the good old Wisconsin cheese. Kenna (shown below) was content to distort her face by pressing it against the screen of the porch. And yet, she was still cute.


Frequent readers of my blog (both of you) will notice I am not a habitual poster of cute kid pictures. Indeed, these may be the only two cute kid pictures on my entire blog. This compares (favorably in my mind) with the blogs that are nothing but cute kid pictures. The cuteness effect is somewhat dissipated by the overly saturated and saccharine postings.

So let's just move forward, accepting the fact that these are seriously cute kids, but more importantly, they are seriously cool (albeit little) people. They are interesting. They are engaging. They are totally 100% alive, and live in the moment. Good little Buddhists, and they don't even know it. Perfect.

Kenna was particularly fascinated with the didgeridoo. Heck, Kenna was fascinated with everything, including our poor dog. Already neurotic by nature, Gracie was often found in our room, just wanting to go five minutes without hearing the word "Doggie!"

It has been 14 years since we had a one year-old around for more than a few hours. I had forgotten just how wonderful it is. I am now in the paradoxical position of wanting grandkids without wanting my daughter to marry and have kids just yet.

No comments: