Thursday, September 27, 2007

A good day...no, a great day...



Autumn is my favorite season. The temps are perfect, the light is a photographer's dream, and the mosquitoes are mostly dead, or so slow that within a few seconds of lighting on you they're no longer recognizable as a former insect.

Today we went up to Devil's Lake to do some filming for a video project. The weather was of course, perfect, little or no wind, and not a soul on the lake besides us. I didn't do a huge amount of paddling, but I got to hang around with Nancy and Derrick (and Derrick's better half, Mary). They're great people and pretty decent paddlers too.

I sometimes wonder how I got so lucky as to belong to such a great industry. Outdoor specialty retail is a tough way to make a living, but it's a wonderful business for all the intangibles -- friends, nature, and sharing experiences such as today.



Anyway, I got to play around in a solo canoe while Derrick had to paddle a sea kayak. Poor Derrick. Don't get me wrong, I love kayaking...but sea kayaking in a tiny lake in Wisconsin seems a little sick and wrong. Give me a solo canoe, a paddle, and a star to steer her by.

No comments: