Monday, July 27, 2009

Odes and Ends

After a week out of town, and having spotted one odonate in Utah (it looked thirsty), it was nice to come home to a decent little crowd of odes. The vegetation mats offer a nice perching place for the Eastern Amberwings (Perithemis tenera). They're one of the smallest dragonflies, shorter than a damsel but more stocky. And pretty.


This one I had to chase around until I got a decent shot. A female Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) has none of the bright whiteness of a male, but her abdomen is stylish and she has nice racing stripes.



This one I misidentified at first as a Baskettail, but a second look at the eyes made me think Emerald, and I was right. Emeralds rarely perch so it's hard to get a good ID on them, but I'm pretty sure this is a Somatachlora cingatum, a Lake Emerald. They usually live a bit farther north but it has been a cool Spring. Any better eyes can give me a better ID if I'm wrong.



Respectfully submitted,

Canoelover

No comments: