Monday, January 05, 2009

Recommended reading...

It's that time again, boys and girls, when I attempt to explain to my non-arctic extended family why I like ice fishing.  Simple answer: because if you sit on a bucket out on the ice without a pole in your hand, people know you're crazy.  If you have a pole in your hand, they can't prove it.


Hard-Water World: Ice Fishing and Why We Do It, by Greg Breining and Layne Kennedy.  Greg wrote the prose, and Layne the excellent photography.  Greg was the guest on Larry Meiller just before me when I did the snowshoeing interview.  Excellent Minnesota accent, don'cha know.

From Minnesota Historical Society Press, one of my favorite indy presses in the universe.  By direct and feed the dollars to them.  They're a good cause and Amazon doesn't need the money, I don't think.

I'm trying to get my rep buddies at PembaServes to go in with me to build an ice shanty since their office is just a block from the lake.  They're a pretty aerobic bunch, but I think I could convince them if I can just get the basics done.  I'll design this fall, build over the Christmas break, and run it out on skids after the New Year.  And leave it there until March.  It'll need a heater, generator, and a small B&W TV (requisite).  And a well-stocked bar of schnapps.  Not for me, but you gotta have it for some reason in an ice shanty.  It's the law.

Respectfully and somewhat frigidly submitted,

  Canoelover

2 comments:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

Protocal is everything.

Silbs said...

Not in 1,000,000 years. Brrrrr.