Friday, May 09, 2008

May Flowers


A nice walk in the Arb revealed some new treats. We found not one but three wood poppy patches (Stylophorum diphyllum). They don't last for more than a few days once they bloom, so it was nice to see them.


The Prairie Trillium (Trillium recurvata) are in bloom too, just starting and they're lovely. I also found what looks a lot like Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica) but it's hard to tell as I am a crappy botanist. Help me, Rosie-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

The cousins loved the walk in the woods -- the giant turkeys who were in full-on display mode, telling all female turkeys that they were the desirable goods. I wonder if Puff Daddy ever considered the unintentional metaphor.

"Yo, whazzup, henz? I be da baddest galliform in da Arboretum 'hood, dig? Check out mah waddle and mah snoot, all puffed up an' purple, a cullah dat accent mah wrinkly head. And mah beard, it almost reach da grass, it be so long and all, an' dere's mo where dat come from."

For the record: I am the second whitest person on the planet so if my gansta seems a bit stilted, its because I am, as noted previously, the second whitest person on the planet. Word.

3 comments:

Binner said...

That was actually really good 'gangsta' stuff! Friend of MK's here from Dalute, and current employee of a county Detention Center.. so, as a co very white person, (who has worked with juvies for the past 24 years), you were Very right on and funny!!ha Hope Rosie can help with the plant ID... Rosie, I didn't know that about you!? Enjoy Spring, the last of a snow bank just melted behind my house Thursday!?

Rosie said...

Well wildflowerlover, it seems you've found another gem... an Anemone! Same family as your Hepatica and Pasque flowers, which are occasionally included in the same Genus. I think yours is the Wood Anemone, A. quinquefolia, but I think you should go back and search for A. canadensis, aptly named because if you gather the leaf lobes and squint down at them from the top, they form a sort of maple leaf shape!

(hi binner)

canoelover said...

Yep, the leaves were wrong for the Spring Beauty. It looked hepaticaesque but I knew it wasn't. Thanks for the clarification, you Lathyrus odoratus you.