Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Grampa-ing


Bratfest is Madison's carnivorous festival—190,000 brats were consumed last weekend. A disgusting thing if you think about it too much, so I suggest you don't.

We also took a few dozen boats over to the pond next to the Alliant Energy Center where Bratfest happens. We charge a buck a ride for the kids and donate the money to a scholarship fund for underprivileged kids to get a chance to take our classes.

Unfortunately we can't give kids under 6 a chance to paddle (insurance regulations), but this little guy was persistent. So I climbed in the boat, he climbed in too and Grampa Canoelover got to have some fun. Then I got to give him back to his mother.

I went out for a short paddle after that and noticed he was watching me the whole time. He almost fell in the water coming down to see me get out of the boat, and would have climbed in if we had let him.

So I made a friend on Sunday, even though I don't know his name. I hope he remembers the vicarious paddling as he grows up.

Thanks to Jim for his photo.

No comments: