Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Spring is officially here...Trout Liles are incapable of deception


I know, I know. I keep saying that. But this time I have proof, i.e., the first signs of my Erythronium albidum showing their first tentative and shy sprouts through the loam soil on the side of my backyard shack.

E. albidum
, or White Trout Lilies, are native to Southern Ontario but a large patch of them was established my my backyard at least 20-25 years ago by the original owner of this home, Evelyn Bakke. Evelyn has since passed on, enjoying the Ephemeral Garden in the Sky. I still thank her every Spring when my lilies poke their heads through and scream in tiny white voices that winter is really over, and nothing we can do will stop the inevitable progression toward Life and Warmth.

No comments: