Sunday, January 13, 2008

The snowshoe fever has taken hold once again.


I get this way every so often. I get going on a new project and I become single-minded in its completion.

I love building snowshoes, but this is a new thing -- building with no pattern, just the basics ingrained in me after building a bunch of them over the years. It's really relaxing, just sitting and working with my fingers, and the good news is that on the other side of the activity you get something useful and beautiful.

The toe section went fine, as did the heel section. The center section is where it gets sorta scary. There's a point where you sorta have to wing it and hope for the best as far as the pattern goes. I'm sure there's an algorithm to determine the critical point for starting the center weave, but I've never figured it out. So I trust intuition and start lacing.

So far, they're beautiful. I have another set of frames so I'll be experimenting with those as well, we'll see what happens.

All in all, a great activity for a Sunday afternoon.

No comments: