Thursday, January 10, 2008

I've got snowshoeosis...and it's terminal

I've been addicted to making snowshoes since 1987, when Stephanie and I first built snowshoes while she was pregnant with Whitney. It's relaxing, and when you're done you have a cool piece of art that actually has a function.

My friend Greg at Country Ways sent me a couple of prototype frames and some of the 1/4" lacing, not the standard 3/8" and 1/2" lacing because I wanted to try a little tighter pattern. It's unknown territory, so you have to kinda mess around with the lacing patterns until it works.

This pattern worked the first time because halfway through I listened to a little voice in my head that said "no, not that way." So there ya go. I guess after lacing a few dozen pair and teaching it to a few dozen other students, it's almost part of my finger/brain connection.

Next -- a toe section.

No comments: