Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Wenonah Argosy demo has fallen into my hands...

So last Tuesday I got an Argosy demo from Wenonah Canoe, the Argosy being their new solo downriver canoe. Okay, so it's not exactly new new, since it was made last year in composite construction, but this year it's being produced in Royalex. So that part is new.

I have only had it out for about 20 minutes (it was very cold, under 20°F) but it was a really nice 20 minutes. It is lighter than I would have thought for the length (14'6"), is quick and has good secondary stability. The seat adjustment has been refined nicely and so far, it's one of the nicest solo downrivers I've paddled in a long time. Frankly, it's a pretty nice flatwater canoe for those wanting to do rivers with occasional rapids.

That said, I think the boat has a few aesthetic challenges. The stems are too straight and too pronounced, probably to make it easy to get out of the mold, but I have always felt that making aesthetic compromises for the sake of manufacturing ease is the kiss of death for a canoe. I know it's a slippery slope, but it's worth examining your footing once in a while.

I'll post pictures when I get 'em.

No comments: